Seasonal Education Assistant
Reports to: Education Sales Manager
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Seasonal Education Assistant (SEA) bolsters the productivity, efficiency and overall effectiveness of the Education team during the busy summer months. Supporting a number of key operations and front facing activities, the SEA will assist with the day to day function of the summer camps and evening classes and provide administrative support to the Education team to ensure programs run smoothly and all patrons and students have a great experience. As with all the positions in the Education Team, the SEA will staff educational events and programs as time allows.
Compensation for this position is $15.00 per hour, part-time, and non-exempt. Hours for this position are approximately 25 per week, from date of hire through our anticipated end date of August 10th, 2018.
- Support preparations and follow-up for the Summer Education offerings, including Summer Camps, evening classes, classes by requests and library classes.
- Summer Camp duties include: assisting with prep work, maintaining supply lists, checking campers, facilitating lunch periods, communicating and supporting the needs of the teaching artists and counselors, and assisting in the creation and implementation of summer camp evaluations for students and parents/guardians.
- Evening Class duties include: assisting Education Coordinator with class preparation, occasionally assisting with class check in, fielding questions and registering students for classes.
- Help to manage and maintain the Level 8 Classroom space and equipment.
- Maintain knowledge of all security and emergency procedures.
- Provide logistic and communications support to Teaching Artists working inside the Educational programming.
- Assist Education Department with any additional projects and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prior experience in arts administration or theater preferred.
- Experience working with youth preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, teaching artists, community partners, volunteers and the general public.
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to use the computer and other technical resources.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in oral and written communication on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms.
- Experience, ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
- Ability to exercise professional discretion and confidentiality.
- Proficient in Tessitura or other database preferred.
The Guthrie Theater is located in the historic Mill District along the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota. As the largest city in the state, Minneapolis offers a large variety of parks, lakes, great food, festivals, malls and more.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Be a part of a leading non-profit organization that is committed to serving not only the local Twin Cities community (you betcha!) but the industry as a whole. Did we forget to mention the sidewalks in the sky, winter makes you stronger, and top-notch employee benefits?
One hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked (in concurrence with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance)
Subsidized passes for Metro Transit buses and trains
Discounted pre-tax monthly ramp parking
Discounted bike locker rental
Discounted Nice Ride annual membership
To all shows produced by the Guthrie
To some performances hosted by the Guthrie
Classes and Camps
Discounts to Guthrie classes and camps
To Guthrie productions
Other Employee Perks
Guthrie Store discount
Costume Rentals discount
Admission to opening night parties
Discounted Level Five Café and Express dining
Frequent Sea Change restaurant discounts
A Note from Human Resources
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover letter
- References (3 total)
The Guthrie is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color and women. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.