Guthrie Summer Programming Counselor
Reports to: Education Program Manager
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Summer Programming Counselors will work with the staff of the Guthrie Theater Summer Camps and Intensives to ensure a smooth, safe and positive camp experience. Compensation for this part-time position is $12.00 per hour, non-exempt, hourly, and temporary.
We are looking for three new Guthrie Summer Programming Counselors to be available from the following dates with hours ranging from 9:00am – 5:00pm, five days a week. The new hires will also be required to attend an orientation in April or May, official dates TBD.
- July 9th – August 3rd, 2018
- July 9th – August 3rd, 2018
- June 18th – August 3rd, 2018
- Support and supervise students both in and out of class.
- Build positive relationships with students.
- Help students develop their skills as artists and creative thinkers.
- Help create a safe and positive environment for students to be themselves.
- Maintain an active presence in classrooms by participating in activities as well as proactively help with classroom management.
- Support the goals and values of the Guthrie Education Team.
- Assist with all day-of camp logistics (check in, lunches, check out, etc.).
- Assist classroom teachers with instruction as needed.
- Assist with the preparation of camp final performances/sharings as needed.
- Assist with in-advance camp preparations as needed.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
- Experience in the creation and performance of theater arts activities.
- Demonstrated experience working in a leadership role with youth, at least 2 years’ experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, participants, and the general public.
- Possess a work style that promotes self-regulation and initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in oral and written communication on both an interpersonal and group level.
- Ability to communicate in a timely manner.
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms.
- Experience, ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
- Ability to exercise professional discretion and confidentiality.
The Guthrie Theater is located in the historic Mill District along the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota. As the largest city in the state, Minneapolis offers a large variety of parks, lakes, great food, festivals, malls and more.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Be a part of a leading non-profit organization that is committed to serving not only the local Twin Cities community (you betcha!) but the industry as a whole. Did we forget to mention the sidewalks in the sky, winter makes you stronger, and top-notch employee benefits?
One hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked (in concurrence with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance)
Subsidized passes for Metro Transit buses and trains
Discounted pre-tax monthly ramp parking
Discounted bike locker rental
Discounted Nice Ride annual membership
To all shows produced by the Guthrie
To some performances hosted by the Guthrie
Classes and Camps
Discounts to Guthrie classes and camps
To Guthrie productions
Other Employee Perks
Guthrie Store discount
Costume Rentals discount
Admission to opening night parties
Discounted Level Five Café and Express dining
Frequent Sea Change restaurant discounts
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover letter
- References (3 total)
The Guthrie is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color and women. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.